Tuesday 3 May 2016

Karin's party

So, May Bank Holiday.  And this time last year Karin had her party, which I guess most of us saw as her farewell party.  Not many people would have the bravado to have such an event; let's face it most people in her position would still be struggling to recognise what was happening and bringing false hope to the possible outcomes.

However, one thing we can all learn from Karin's approach was the value of staring her illness right in its eye, and in doing so she was able to map out the last months of her life with an honesty that brought real value to her remaining time.

Back to the party.  I was going to write about it for this entry, but the task seemed so enormous that I couldn't even start.  There is no doubt that the party was hers, all hers, with every element carrying the mark of her ideas, and at some point I will record it in great detail.  But, that point isn't now, so instead I have found the first germination of the idea for a party. Here is a Facebook comment where she first publicised her thoughts.  Note that quite a good number of other things on the list were achieved, which is very satisfying - and of course the fact that she enjoyed planning her list 'very much'.  How can you get to the stage when there is pleasure to be had in mapping out time when it is clear there is very little left?  I think she saw her place - she really knew where she fitted in the scheme of things. I think it is easy to underestimate that as an achievement.

'3rd March
I spent yesterday evening compiling my 'List of Things to Achieve' and enjoying myself very much. Until it struck me that this list is actually the horribly predictable Bucket List.
Grrrrrr. How I hate to be predictable grumpy emoticon
Anyway, thought you might like to see it. It's much more predictable than earth shattering!
Buy a pair of silk pyjamas.
Buy a posh frock. I do spend money on clothes but never really expensive ones. £ for £, the most I've ever spent on one outfit is £125 in 1991 for my Monsoon wedding top and skirt.
Wear posh frock and Mark wear suit to go for proper grown up cocktails somewhere like Hotel du Vin. Invite Andy and Jess, who will always go all out on things like this.
Have a bit of a 'do'. Wear posh frock. Of course. Am thinking casual and relaxed with a few funky grooves. Constance had her 50th at what was the working men's club in Dean Lane and has now been done up. Get in nice veggie caterer.
Stay in a yurt.
Get my nose pierced. I know, get me - a tat and a nose piercing. What is the world coming to?
Go somewhere like Brussels or Hamsterjam on Eurostar.
Got any ideals???

Xx'

No comments:

Post a Comment